Hey, it’s Rocky. I’ve missed you all! And now I find myself in a wwmtd/thoughtful help needed situation, and I think this is the right place to come. I can’t remember if I have introduced myself here on wp yet, but I’m a wohm of 2 dd’s, ages 4 and 7. I found the site when I was pregnant with dd2, but can’t get as involved as I might like because I am chronically overcommitted.
For example, I had to take a hiatus from MT (and everything else that wasn’t work or kids) recently for a project at work that occupied me entirely for about 4 months, but which is now moving on the the next phase.
And apparently taking me with it: I’ve been asked to relocate to London from Chicago. It was mentioned to me in passing in January, and in the same spirit I said, sure, whetever the job requires. Because hey – sure, in abstract. Next thing I hear, less than a week ago, is our HR department calling to say they’ll have my relo ready soon. Ummmm, what? So now I’m on a trip next week to look at flats and schools.
Here’s the thing: Everything professionally is completely up in the air, we don’t have an office or anything there, and the details of my job and responsibility are undefined. But This would be the first international relo the company has done, so they can’t yet answer my questions. That said, schools start in less than 2 months, and with the Olympics starting in 2 weeks, next week is the only time I could go between now and late August to find a place, schools, etc. And the visa process will take a while and we don’t want to miss the school start. They offered to take my DH and kids over but I don’t want to freak the kids out if this doesn’t happen, so for now I’m handling it myself.
So I’m unsettled on all fronts. I don’t know if I should push to move and just take the opportunity to live abroad, or if I should push back against going. Or wait a year and commute. I don’t know if it is career limiting to go, or to stay. I don’t know if I will like the job, or not. The reality is I like my job, and I love Chicago. But this is an interesting opportunity. But it comes with risks to not just me, but to my family. What do I do? I can’t figure out how to think about it. Good options, lots of stress.
Have any of you moved with small kids? What should I ask, and how should I think about if we should or shouldn’t move?
ps – haven’t mentioned this to a soul other than DH, so for the few of you that may know me on facebook, this is top secret. Thanks.